Saint Michaels, Kirk Langley

Saint Michaels, Kirk Langley, DE6 4NG Contacts

Prof Bryan Jones | Reader | | 01332 541 713
Godfrey Meynell | Church Warden Kirk Langley | 01332 824 815
Mary Debling | Church Warden Kirk Langley | | 01332 720 344

What We Offer

Our services last for approximately 1 hour.  There is an area for children to play and refreshments are served at the end of the service.  All are welcome.

On the first Sunday of each month there is a family service at 09:45am. The second and fourth Sundays of the month is Holy Communion at 09:45am. On the third Sunday of the month there is Holy Communion (BCP) at 08:00am, and morning worship at 09:45am.

About the village

Kirk Langley is an agricultural village located between Derby and Ashbourne on A52 with easy access to other major routes. The parish covers a wide area including the small hamlet of Meynell Langley where the Patron resides. The population of the village is approximately 600 with around 80 children. The housing is largely privately owned with one small Close of low cost housing. At the west end of the village is a small industrial site which employs about 30 people. The community covers all age ranges with the working population commuting to work in nearby towns and cities. There are a number of working (arable and stock) farms located in the village.

The Church of England village school is a primary school located in the centre of the village on Moor Lane. The pupil numbers are forecast to vary between 50-60 with approximately 50% of the pupils residing in the village. St. Michael’s church is located in Church Lane. Adjacent to the church is the Leeke Memorial Hall. The Hall is owned by the church but is run by a small management committee. It is used by village and non-village organizations.

The village has a number of active sports and social organizations including Women’s Institute, Cricket and Football clubs, Drama Group and Social Committee.

There is an hourly bus service to both Derby and Ashbourne which runs through the village

 

About the Church

St. Michael’s Church is a Grade 1 listed building. The major part of the church dates back to 1320 but some parts are thought to be Saxon, dating back as far as the 800s. Major renovations and alterations took place in 1839, and again in 1885. Leaflets exist giving a brief but detailed description of the church and its layout. In addition, in 1995, NADFAS (National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Society) made a complete record of church furnishings. The Church Warden is the custodian of this book and it may be borrowed from him for viewing.

View Larger Map

Upcoming Events

23/12/2018 - 9:45am
06/01/2019 - 9:45am
13/01/2019 - 9:45am